Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Farewell 40!

This week has seen a little bit more time free in the evenings to get my crochet hook out and I have loved every minute of it!  My new blanket is coming along nicely and I am trying my best to make one square a night amongst all the other jobs that need doing.  This join-as-you-go lark is terrific!  Talk about instant gratification.  
I have decided to use 4 main colours to be the outside edges and they are shades of pink through purple.  These were the colours that first caught my eye when I opened my parcel of Stylecraft and they still make me smile now.  It was a pre-selected colour pack and not all the colours were my cup of tea but they will come in handy in the future I'm sure!  So now that I've decided to make this big enough for a queen sized bed cover, I'm definitely going to need to order some more wool.  I will start to repeat the colour order now so that I end up with a few repeats as there will be approximately 30 squares in total.  Yikes, that sounds a lot now that I've actually written it!
I often see pretty bunting on blogs I look at and I love how sweet it looks, but I never thought I could make it look good in my own home.  But yesterday I decided that I needed to get into the spirit of my birthday so I played with some scrapbooking paper and made these little cuties.  A small string of bunting to sit above the birthday cards that had started to arrive.  I love it so much - and I keep smiling to myself every time I look at it.
You might have notice the title of this post being "Farewell 40".  It is true, today I am officially 41- aaargh.  I'd only just got the hang of being 40!  Oh well, at least it meant a nice day to look forward to.  I was very spoilt and received some lovely pressies including some Cath Kidston goodies, a beautiful new top and a CD I have been bursting to get.  I also took my family to Martha's Pantry for high tea where my husband surprised me with lovely flowers.  I adore this wee cafe - I could go there every day.  Their collection of china, glassware and vintage teaspoons is truly fabulous.
Not to mention all the bit sized treats complete with birthday cupcake!

 Here's my wee Miss 4 inspecting the cake cabinet!
Happy birthday to me ...  what did I wish for?  Perhaps a few more minutes a day to work on my blanket?
A quick stop into Moore Wilsons to buy a gift for a dear friend and I got slightly sidetracked when I spotted these adorable cupcake cases.  I love babushka dolls - so these had to come home with me.  A cheap little treat which I can't wait to use.
And because my small folk think it's very important that anyone having a birthday has to have a birthday cake, we made a delicious chocolate cake.  I then cut a third of it off and mixed it with butter cream icing to make some cake pops.  They were then dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with girly coloured 100's and 1000's.  Even big girls need pretty little cakes sometimes!  Thank goodness calories don't count on your birthday.


I had to add these beach pics as they are full of lovely memories of a fun beach visit with Mr 7 yesterday while Miss 4 was at kindy.  The weather was very warm but the sky was moody. Mr 7 had so much fun leaning over the pier looking for fish, collecting driftwood to build a boat when we got home and watching the inter-island ferries going by.  It's been really great spending time alone with my wee man.  He's growing up so fast.

Well that's enough from me for now.  Have a fabulous week!  See you again soon.

Leah
xxxx

32 comments:

  1. Happy birthday you! Sounds like you've been having a lovely day, and your high tea looks very nice...isn't party food the best, and isn't it a relief that it's calorie free ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, also meant to say that the blanket looks lovely and at a square a night it won't be long until it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy bday!! The blanket looks great!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Leah! May all your dreams come true!
    I always get so hungry when I am reading your posts! Everything looks so delicious! My birthday will be in two weeks, good to know that everything will be calorie free on that day. I like that! :)
    Love your new blanket, the colours are wonderful. I am so in love with granny squares in the moment!
    I guess I will copy your bunting, it is such a great idea and soo cute!
    Have a wonderful week! Barbina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday - 40+ is all good!, your new blanket looks lovely. I've also got the urge to make bunting, was thinking of sewing some but your paper one is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday- looks like an awesome day!!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Leah my lover! Looks like you had a suuuuuper day and I'm so glad.

    Martha's pantry looks gorgeous as does your blanket. I know what you mean about bunting. I adore it, my husband not so much, I have a fab string of bunting in my dining room but not sure how I could sneak more into the main parts of our house. Maybe paper bunting it the way forward.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. 41?????!!!!!
    I thought you were in your 20s, judging by your photo! Tee hee!
    Many happy returns!
    Gorgeous blanket- lovely colours and a fab idea to make some pretty bunting out of scrapbook papers- an idea I may have to borrow!
    Have a lovely week, hon.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy b-day! And best wishes for the coming year...and more free time to crochet ;-)
    AnaBC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday my friend, looks like a great one, many more to come :D
    Lots of love Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, the blancket is really beautifull. The colours are lovely. Good luck and have a great day, kinds regards, Céline

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, Leah! Your post is so packed with things to comment on!
    Your blanket is looking lovely, and I too love those raspberry and plum colours from Stylecraft.
    The bunting is so pretty too. Isn't it funny how bunting makes us smile?
    And the high tea and the day at the beach with your boy? Life doesn't get much better!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Birthday - HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!

    Looks like you had a fab time and the current blanket is GORGEOUS! Linking up as you go saves so much time I think!

    Have a fab rest of a day....or night!

    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh happy day to you Leah, sounds like the perfect way to celebrate your day. I will soon be 42 and cannot believe where the time is going.. crazy stuff indeed. your blanket is looking like delicious candy and i am looking forward to seeing it progress. I hope the birthday fairy pops in and grants you your wish xox lots of love Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Leah!
    Its scary how those years just roll on by so quickly! Looks like you had a wonderful time.
    Loving the latest blanket, lovely colours!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy happy happy birthday sweetie, and welcome to the forties....i don't know about you, but i was quite quite happy just being in my thirties, and then all of a sudden, i wasn't....oh well...anyway, many happy returns.
    And fantastic blanket, i have been thinking about making one of these super sized granny square blankets but i just don't know what type of yarn to use for it or what colours to make it in...desitions desitions...so much yarn so little time ;)......and yours looks sooooo beautiful, many happy returns again luvvy.
    Pixie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!! Looks like you're having a fabby dabby day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. La Breithe Shona Dhuit .... aka Happy Birthday! Hope you had a lovely day. Thank you for your lovely comment too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday lovely girl! You look like you had the most wonderful time and gorgeous at 41. I have only just got used to 40 and I turn 50 in June. It isn't the age it is how you feel that counts. So glad you are enjoying the stylecraft - you are making a lovely blanket x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the blanket! Maybe I need to do that with my stylecraft too. The bunting looks super gorgeous and that Trio at Marthas is just my style (as you know). I only wish I could have been there with you to share your special day. xxxx Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you had such a lovely birthday sweetie! Doesnt your little princess look simply adorable in her red polka dot dress (and oh the hat!), she reminds me of her Mummy. The new blanket is looking fab - love the colours. I adore bunting too - it always looks so cute. Oh and finally, what gorgeous photos from your day out with your wee man. Such special times are so important. Becks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Very Happy Birthday Leah. Looks like you had a very sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday! And even though you're 41 you look so beautiful, I'll do anything to be like that when I'll be 41!
    Loving your new blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ♪♫ Happy birthday to you ♪♫ I hope you are having a smashing day! Love your new blanket,beautiful colours,I like to join as I go ,as you say instant gratification...Loving your bunting too,isnt it so cheerful,having bunting around? hugs,juliexxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like the most beautiful birthday tea ever! Happy b-day to you, dear. And your granny blanket is looking amaaaaazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks wonderful! happy belated b/day, Leah! virtual hug

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know how I missed this post! Happy belated birthday Leah, looks like you had a great day. Love your granny blanket and your ripple too. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, Leah! You have a gorgeous blog! I'm glad I found you - and I'll definitely be stopping by again soon.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday, such a wonderful post.
    I love your granny squares too. How have you got yours so perfect???? mine have all twisted.

    I love your blog so have nominated you for an award, pop by my blog to see

    Shelley
    http://all4meggymoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. P.S. I wanted to award you with the Versatile Blogger award that was just passed on to me by Julie at www.talesfromtoadstoolhouse.blogspot.com I know I have told you this before but you are my inspiration hon - I adore your fabulous blog! Pop over to mine to copy your award - oh then pass it on to 15 new blogs you have found and write 7 intertesting bits of info about yourself on your next blog. Becks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Leah! Me again! Just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you too!
    Sending you lots of love! Barbina

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very happy belated birthday to you! Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful day. I've never done the join as you go. And though I'm working on grannies at the moment, I've never actually made a blanket with them so will have to figure out how to join them when I get to that point. Hope you are having a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! Have a fab day.