Monday, July 18, 2011

What a fabulous week!

I was absolutely beside myself with excitement when this parcel arrived in my letterbox during the week. In a post a wee while ago I'd mentioned that I'd treated myself to a subscription for Mollie Makes that took effect from Issue 3 - and how envious I was of folk who had been able to buy the earlier issues. So I was truly stunned when the fabulous Tracey from TopCat's Corner wrote and offered to send me a spare copy of Issue 2. Tracey - you are a total gem and I am so very, very grateful for your wonderful gift. I am constantly amazed at the generosity of lovely folk in blog land and this has really touched my heart. Thank you again!

So it was perfect timing that I had an evening alone to sit and read this gorgeous magazine! Every page had something stunning and interesting - I couldn't put it down. Many cups of tea later and I was still ooohing and aaahing over each page! I have heard that it is now on sale in Australia so I will do my best to track down Issue 1 - fingers crossed!!

Now I know I have about 4 projects on the go already so what better time to start something new! There are some gorgeous big granny blankets on lots of lovely blogs at the moment and I really love them. A few weeks back I showed you some of my dear Nana's blankets which my family adore. So I thought it was time that I made one to add to the collection. This one is going to be one quite large granny square, then I think I will edge it with many smaller grannies using the same colours. In my mind I think it will be lovely - so I will have to wait and see how it turns out!

I'm really getting into using white wool! It makes such a lovely contrast and everything looks so crisp and bright. The perfect way to use up that giant ball of white I bought recently!!

And amongst the granny rounds, I've also been making hats, hats and more hats. All different patterns, all difference sizes. I've decided that making crochet hats is a bit like in the cartoons, where they put a cake in the oven and it comes out iced and even with candles ... because when you crochet a hat from the top down you end up with a complete hat dangling from the end of your hook and somehow it doesn't actually look real! Does that make sense? I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had this thought!!

And to keep the energy levels up, it seemed only right to whip up some hot scones for lunch. A piping hot cuppa and far too much cream - perfect!!

Then it was a bit of pine nut bashing in the kitchen making pesto to go on our pasta for dinner. Boy do I love the smell of basil - delicious!

Mr 6 had an indoor picnic at school on Friday for the last day of term. His class was given the job of providing the sweet course so we made good old Chocolate Crackle. The kids go mad for this and it has to be the easiest thing in the world to make. Melted chocolate and Rice Bubble cereal. Mix it together and pop it into a cupcake papers to set. How easy is that?



And what a lovely way to end my week - Karen from 4 Lil' Girls has given me an award. Thank you Karen, it really made my day! You should check out Karen's gorgeous blog - especially to see the fabulous granny blanket she is currently making - I love it!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and just wanted to say this without sounding all gushy. When I started my wee blog it was because my dear friend Kylie had moved to the other end of the country and it was a way for us to show each other what we had been making. I never thought that it would end up having anyone else looking at it - so I am beyond thrilled that I have 99 followers!! Thank you so very much for visiting me and for the lovely, positive comments you leave. At this stage in my life when being an at home mum is just sometimes plain tough, it's the nicest thing to see a lovely comment. Thank you again and see you soon!

Have a fabulous week!
Leah

10 comments:

  1. ooh loving the giant granny square! They are a joy to hook up, I made a rainbow one earlier this year. I love love love how you've used white every other row, I must try to use white more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award!!And the granny square looks very pretty with the white in between!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those hats - so cute!
    Granny squares rock at the moment, it would seem- love the white in between the colours.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAAAAAAAAY.....mollie makes has arrived for you...now we can all mollie make together..yaaaay.
    And congratulations Leah on the award, and for lots and lots of followers, you have a truly wonderful little blog site so its not surprising that so many people want to follow you along....
    Love and hugs Pixie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award!!! You definitely deserve it! Your blog is so beautiful! Love the granny square, and those hats looks so cute! Such a pretty post!
    Great day to you!
    Love and hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soooo with you about the SAHM thing being tough!!! I am silently apprehensive about the long school holidays approaching, I can't keep on top of everything when my eldest is home all the time, he is so destructive because of his learning difficulties. It's all I can do to entertain him and feed them all!!!!

    Congrats on the award, well deserved and love the hats. Love the way they grow like alchemy is involved. What pattern do you use?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was browsing iCrochet and came across your post. How wonderful that you received Mollie Makes. I usually head to the States for the summer with my boys but this year we didn't. I miss being able to browse through all the fabulous magazines on sale. Will ask a friend to try and locate a copy of Mollie Makes for me and bring it back. Will be something to look forward to. I just figured out the granny square after many years of trying. Some patterns are written in ways much more difficult than necessary -- but happily found one that made sense. I think I'll start a giant granny soon using up all the bits of yarn I've got around here. I've never attempted a hat! You are definitely on a roll. Plus making dessert, pesto and scones! Yummo! Have a great Sunday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous hooky stuff Leah! and who could pass up chocolate? NOT!!
    I so agree with you about being a stay home mom...too bad I didn't have the internet and blogs back then, LOL! Enjoy because someday when you look back it'll be a good thing! :)
    Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your award Leah!!!!
    And on having 99 followers - no, 107!!!!!
    Just checked!
    Loving those crochet hats!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is your recipe for your scones? They look luscious! And I absolutely adore the multi-color granny square!
    Thanks so much,
    Joanna Simmons
    josweetlife@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! Have a fab day.